Showing posts with label whistleblowers. Show all posts
Showing posts with label whistleblowers. Show all posts

12 May 2020

REFUGEE ACTIVISTS OCCUPY PRESTON HOTEL HOUSING MEDEVAC DETAINEES

The following article is from The Age online, and is more than about time that the non-Murdoch media acted like they say on the top of their paper - Independent - always.

It now remains to be seen whether they will try and build up a campaign to force this pathetic government and its loyal opposition to get the asylum seekers out of the concentration camps on Manus, Nauru and places like the Mantra hotel in Preston, Melbourne.

Australians who have not supported those trying to get these human rights abuses ended need to reconsider how they have felt being in "lock down" because of COVID-19, and now need to have some understanding of the cruelty to which asylum seekers have been exposed for all these years and DO SOMETHING!!


Refugee activists occupy Preston hotel housing medevac detainees


Healthcare workers have previously described the makeshift detention centre housing more than 60 men as a "very high-risk environment" for transmitting the coronavirus.
Refugee activists protest on the rooftop of the Preston hotel
Refugee activists protest on the rooftop of the Preston hotel
Steve Johnson responds to news detectives have arrested a man over his brother's alleged murder
Refugee activists protest on the rooftop of the Preston hotel

Refugee activists protest on the rooftop of the Preston hotel

Medevac detainees are being housed at the hotel where activists are protesting on the rooftop.
Eight activists checked into three rooms at the Bell Street hotel on Monday, and barricaded themselves into at least one of the rooms from 7.30am Tuesday.
The protesters have also occupied the roof of the hotel and locked themselves on as part of the demonstration. Banners have been draped from the roof saying: "let them out" and "seven years lock-down freedom now".
Footage from the scene shows police escorting all eight activists off the property mid-afternoon.


A statement from the Whistleblowers, Activists and Communities Alliance (WACA) said the demonstration aimed to draw attention to the need for detainees to be provided with the medical care they were brought to Australia for under the now-repealed "medevac laws".
Banners are on the roof of the hotel, saying, "let them out".
Banners are on the roof of the hotel, saying, "let them out".Credit:WACA
"Over the last two months of this pandemic the federal and state government message has been 'we are all in this together'. Clearly some of us of are more in this together than others. We are not truly together until all, including detained asylum seekers and refugees, have their freedom," spokesperson Gaye Demanuele said.

Last month, more than 1180 healthcare professionals signed a joint letter to the government calling for the men to be released.
"Failure to take action to release people seeking asylum and refugees from detention will not only put them at greater risk of infection (and possibly death), it also risks placing a greater burden on wider Australian society and the health care system," said the letter, drafted by infectious diseases expert Professor David Isaacs.

More than 60 men are confined to a secure floor of the motel, which is off limits to other guests and staffed by armed guards. While Australian Border Force, which operates the motel's secure wing, has cancelled all outside visits, guards come and go throughout the day.

No detainee in immigration has tested positive to COVID-19, and a spokesperson said the Australian Border Force was focussed on health and safety during the pandemic.
The protesters began the demonstration about 7.30am on Tuesday.
The protesters began the demonstration about 7.30am on Tuesday.Credit:WACA
"A range of measures have been introduced to actively manage health, hygiene and cleaning requirements in all detention facilities. These measures are continually reviewed in line with the current health advice," the spokesperson said.

"All detainees continue to have ongoing access to the medical professionals located within facilities, including after hours."

Refugee activists on the roof of the Mantra hotel in Preston on Tuesday.
Refugee activists on the roof of the Mantra hotel in Preston on Tuesday.Credit:WACA
Any detainee with flu-like symptoms are tested and quarantined, according to Border Force.

Kurdish man Farhad Bandesh was medically evacuated from Manus Island and then moved from the Mantra to the Melbourne Immigration and Transit Accommodation centre (MITA).
A refugee activist barricaded in a Mantra hotel room on Tuesday.
A refugee activist barricaded in a Mantra hotel room on Tuesday.Credit:WACA
"My friends [at Mantra] are really sick, mentally and physically, and the situation there is really stressful," Mr Bandesh said.

"At the moment I think they've got good energy because of the people that are supporting them, and we are still asking for our rights after so many years."
He thanked the protesters, "they show we are not alone".

"All the detention centres are all the same, everyone is panicking and they are scared. They don't want to catch the COVID-19."
The roof of the Mantra in Preston.
The roof of the Mantra in Preston.Credit:WACA
Activists have bypassed lockdown restrictions during the pandemic by walking past Mantra and the MITA centre in protest of detention.

Walking is considered exercise and is allowable under Victoria's lockdown rules though protests themselves are a breach of the restrictions.

Last month, 30 people were also fined for protesting in support of refugees and asylum seekers outside the Preston hotel.

Mantra declined to comment.

17 December 2019

CENSORSHIP IN AUSTRALIA - KAFKA DOWN UNDER: THE THREAT TO WHISTLEBLOWERS AND PRESS FREEDOM IN AUSTRALIA


Kafka Down Under: the Threat to Whistleblowers and Press Freedom in Australia


It was the head of the Australian Cyber Security Centre who finally admitted before an Australian Parliament committee that she had unilaterally directed and pressured CyberCon to drop myself and an academic research professor (an Australian citizen) from the University of Melbourne as speakers.

I viewed the extraordinary pressure exerted by the Australian Cyber Security Centre to block me as an already-accepted speaker — a week before the start of a high visibility public interest conference on cybersecurity — as a most alarming and Orwellian development and a distinct form of brazen censorship for the express purpose of outright silencing me.

The head of the ACSC misled the committee when she said the reason she wanted my talk canned was because of a proposal for me to participate on a panel with Edward Snowden that never went forward.

It appears she dissembled and used the apparent floating of the idea of a proposed Edward Snowden panel (for which I had NO prior knowledge whatsoever) as a convenient foil and cover to justify and excuse the barring of me as a speaker from CyberCon with the very heavy hand of her “higher authority” as the head of the ACSC over the conference organizers (Australian Information Security Association).

In addition, the reason she gave before the committee is not the reason given to me when I formally followed up with the AISA organizers.

On 29 September (4 days before I departed the United States), I received an e-mail message to contact the Board Director for AISA “as a matter of urgency.”
In a subsequent phone call from the same AISA Board Director, I was told that I was no longer a speaker on the conference agenda, but I could still attend the conference as a delegate and that they (AISA) would honor the flight and accommodations arranged for me many months early.

I followed up formally and asked for the specific reason I was dropped as a speaker from CyberCon. I was informed on 7 October, in an e-mail from the Board Director of AISA, that “AISA works with a conference partner in respect of CyberCon. Our conference partner has determined your presentation is incongruent with the conference.”

Furthermore, this egregious canning of me as a speaker fed right into the current debate in Australia about press freedom and whistleblowing laws because their public interest disclosure process (their legal way for public servants to blow the whistle) has been described as “impenetrable” by their Federal Court.

The current debate in Australia regarding press freedom and whistleblowing laws strikes at the heart of any country claiming it is a democracy.

The recent raids by the Australian government against major media outlets and whistleblowers have broken open the tension — between openness and transparency versus secrecy and closed-door government too often hiding itself (and its actions) away from accountability and the public interest.

Something has to give. The debate centers on the public interest knowing what the government is doing behind closed doors and often in secret in the name of — and under the veil and banner of — national security.

The dramatic 21 October Right to Know campaign — with the redacted front pages on all major newspapers in Australia as I woke up in Melbourne before returning to the United States that very day — demonstrates beyond the shadows of secrecy, censorship and press suppression that sunshine is the best antidote for a healthy and robust democracy increasingly held hostage by the national security state.

Efforts from on high seek to justify the actions of that national security state under the color of public safety for more and more autocratic powers — while stoking fear and hyping the danger to society — yet going after whistleblowers who disclose actions that clearly rise to the level of wrongdoing, violations of law, coverup and endangering public safety, health and the general welfare.

What is happening in Australia is most concerning to me as fundamental democratic values and principles are increasingly under direct attack around the world from the rise of increasing autocratic tendencies and raw executive authorities bypassing, ignoring and even undermining the rule of law under the exception of national security and government fiat.

Australian public interest disclosure laws are also a mixed bag — a conflicted patchwork with huge carve-outs for national security and immigration. Nor do they adequately protect a whistleblower from reprisal, retaliation or retribution.

It is quite clear that not all disclosures (even when done in the public interest) are protected by law in Australia, and the whistleblower is in danger of exposure as a result.

At the federal level, whistleblowers face career suicide for public interest disclosures. And if deemed by the government to be unauthorized disclosures, those disclosures are even considered criminal.

As it happened, my removal as a speaker from CyberCon is the first time I was ever censored anywhere.

The trend lines of increased secrecy around the world by governments does not bode well for societies at large. History is not kind.

What I do see improving is public-interest concern regarding just how far government can or should go. People are discussing what society sacrifices in the name of secrecy and national security when too often the mantra is the ends justifies the means — and government says to just trust us, while secret power is too often unaccountable, even to itself.

The price I paid as a whistleblower was very high. I just about lost it all and came close to losing my liberty and freedom. I was declared indigent by the court, am still in severe debt, have no pension as my career and personal life were turned inside-out and upside-down because the government treated me as a traitor for my whistleblowing on the mass domestic surveillance program that violated the U.S. Constitution. I also exposed 9/11 intelligence failures and subsequent coverup plus massive multibillion-dollar fraud, waste and abuse. The government then turned me into an insider threat and Enemy of the State and prosecuted me as a criminal for allegedly violating the U.S. Espionage Act.

If it is left up to the government to determine what are state secrets, then the government is perversely incentivized to declare as state secrets any disclosures made in the press it does not like. This thinking can only lead to more prosecutions of publishers to protect the State. In the absence of meaningful oversight of the secret side of government, how does the public trust its own government to operate and function in the public interest and not for special or private interests?

But then again, if the press is not doing its job holding government and the public sector to account, why should they be surprised when the public holds even the media in lower regard?

Government should earn the public’s trust and not take it for granted or abuse that trust. The heart of democracy rests on a civil society that it is not undermined by the very government that represents it.

Once the pillars of democracy are eroded away, it is quite difficult to restore them. The misuse of the concept of national security — as the primary grounds to suppress democracy, the press and the voices of whistleblowers speaking truth to and about power — increases authoritarian tendencies in even democratic governments.

The real danger to civil society in Australia is that these same tendencies give rise to extralegal autocratic behavior and state control over the institutions of democratic governance under the blanket of national security with the excuse of protecting the state.

As I continue with this work as chair of the Whistleblowers Public Education Campaign, I’m mindful that my efforts are only possible because of support from so many concerned people.

Thomas Drake is an NSA whistleblower who chairs the Whistleblowers Public Education Campaign.

More articles by:

26 June 2018

WHISTLEBLOWERS WHO BLOW WHISTLES FOR PROTECTION AND SECURITY

In the 1980s and 1990s, Gays, Lesbians, Transgenders, HIV/AIDS people, of all genders, were being bashed, assaulted, abused in any way homophobes could work out, and murdered, at a rapid rate.

The murdered were mostly gay males as can be seen on our web pages in http://www.josken.net

The New South Wales police were complicit in some of those crimes and have never been brought to book.

In 2018, in Melbourne, women are being assaulted, abused, verbally and physically, and murdered in unprecedented numbers.

In Sydney, in the 1980s and 1990s, one of the plans for protection was to carry a whistle that was easily accessible and could mostly be held in the hand out of sight of possible attackers. This is obviously not a be-all and end-all protection, but it may well have helped save lives.

We all carried them in those days and perhaps it helped to protect us but the number of murders did reduce.

The situation as it stands is very complex and needs to start with education at a basic level while children are in their early classes at school where they need to respect other humans and not be taught that they are entitled to behave in ways threatening the safety of other human beings.

31 August 2016

WHISTLEBLOWERS, THE AGE NEWSPAPER AND ITS "EXCLUSIVE" REPORT BY NICK McKENZIE, MICHAEL BACHELARD AND RICHARD BAKER

 The following letter appeared in The Age newspaper on 31 AUGUST 2016, two days after a front page article in The Age (29 AUGUST 2016) under the heading  
$5m whistleblower bounty.

This is the letter I would have liked to have sent to The Age, but because it has not published any of my letters for so long, I would have done it on my blog anyway.

The letter-writer gives the names of 4 whistleblowers and what the US government has done to them, but there are so many others to add to the list, a few being Edward Snowden and Julian Assange as examples.

The US government under Barack Obama has done more to harm US citizens than any other president since the earliest days of the formation of the United States after its genocide on native Americans after European invasion.

And other so-called western democracies have all been just as vicious and cruel to whistleblowers.

Under no circumstances are whistleblowers protected by their governments and we shouldn't anticipate any favourable changes any day soon. (Mannie De Saxe)

 

One-way protection

The BHP Billiton case does indeed expose "the weakness of Australia's whistleblower regime" (The Age, 29/8). However, the US is hardly a beacon for appropriate protection of whistleblowers. In the US, one may only blow the whistle one way – to help government bodies. After the spectacular global financial crisis, the US were oh so magnanimous to whistleblowers, treating them to legislation bestowing up to 30 per cent of fines resulting from their disclosure.

But blow that whistle the other way, and look out.
Four names will illustrate my point:

1. William Binney disclosed that NSA collected mass data on its own citizens. The result was a raid on his home, loss of employment and a financial deficit to the tune of $300,000.

2. Thomas Drake disclosed NSA warrantless mass surveillance of US citizens. He was indicted and sentenced to one year probation and community service.

3. John Kyriakou disclosed CIA waterboarding detainees. He was indicted and sentenced to 30 months' jail.

 4. Chelsea Manning disclosed the infamous "collateral murder" footage of an Apache helicopter slaughter of at least eight people in Baghdad, including two journalists and a young father. He was indicted and sentenced to 35 years' jail.

Aliki Pavlou, Albert Park

RED JOS - ACTIVIST KICKS BACKS



Welcome to my blog and let me know what you think about my postings.


My web pages also have a wide range of topics which are added to when possible. Look for them in any search engine under

"RED JOS"




I hope you find items of interest!

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
90 years old, political gay activist, hosting two web sites, one personal: http://www.red-jos.net one shared with my partner, 94-year-old Ken Lovett: http://www.josken.net and also this blog. The blog now has an alphabetical index: http://www.red-jos.net/alpha3.htm

Labels