12 August 2020

GERIATRICS FOR DISPOSAL

 



Subject: disposable old people
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 
From: Mannie De Saxe <redjos30@tpg.com.au>
To: letters@theage.com.au


Mannie De Saxe

2/12 Murphy Grove,

Preston.

Vic 3072

Phone: 03 9471 4878

9 August 2020

*Geriatrics for disposal*

I am sick and tired of reading letters in The Age every day telling the world that old people should be allowed to be disposed of because they have lived their lives and it is younger people who need to be saved from death by the pandemic.

My partner is 97 and I am 93 and 25 years ago we were carers for people who were living with - and dying from - HIV/AIDS illnesses which were frightening to behold. Most of them were in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s and many of them died before treatments were found which allowed them to live longer and have a quality of life, which no one could envisage in the early to mid-90s. Some of them are still alive today and a few have reached their 80s and are still living useful and productive lives.

We live on our own and although we have all sorts of ailments and illnesses, we are fortunate that our minds are still functioning and we can do most daily tasks without assistance.

What is more we are still able to use our computers and can even write letters to newspapers.


People are people no matter what their ages and whether they are in nursing homes or their own homes they should not be thrown away as some of the letter writers would like to do with us. We still have human rights and I will insist on mine until I am ready to euthanase if life becomes intolerable, at a time of my own choosing.

............and just by the way, Bertrand Russell and George Bernard Shaw were still writing into their 90s .

Mannie De Saxe





Sent to us by Gary Jaynes on 11 AUGUST 2020 from a friend of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RED JOS - ACTIVIST KICKS BACKS



Welcome to my blog and let me know what you think about my postings.


My web pages also have a wide range of topics which are added to when possible. Look for them in any search engine under

"RED JOS"




I hope you find items of interest!

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
90 years old, political gay activist, hosting two web sites, one personal: http://www.red-jos.net one shared with my partner, 94-year-old Ken Lovett: http://www.josken.net and also this blog. The blog now has an alphabetical index: http://www.red-jos.net/alpha3.htm

Labels