07 June 2021

AGED CARE IN AUSTRALIA

I am 94 years old. My partner died last year aged 98. He was being treated at St Vincent's Hospital for metastatic prostate cancer.

He told the oncologist at the hospital that he did not intend going into an age care facility and that he intended dying at home.

He did not have an advanced care directive but knew that I would follow his requests for care until the end, knowing I would respect his wishes. As he has died and I am now on my own, I have no guarantee that anybody around me when I am at a stage when my end is approaching will necessarily heed my requirements.

Unlike my partner, I do have an advanced care directive, but nobody close in Melbourne who will necessarily obey my requests.

As things stand at the moment in Australia, and more specifically as they stand in Melbourne, I would sooner commit suicide - or do euthanasia if you prefer those words - to being committed to an aged care facility.

My criticism is not of people who are involved in aged care - most of them deeply committed to their work - doctors, nurses, everybody else working in aged care homes, nursing homes in general and all related places, because they are permanently underfunded, understaffed, inadequately provided with equipment and medications required and all related issues, but as of at this time, in Melbourne, on 8 June 2021, Covid has taken its toll, vaccination of everybody concerned is lacking and the federal government has shown that it is not in the least interested in remedying the situation at any time soon.

I am in my own home with little assistance from government agencies of any sort, don't have any means of transport, and have just been notified that the urgent requirement for me to protect myself should I require help from Personal Alert Victoria will be available and installed in my home - "wait time" - is approximately 14 to 16 weeks for the system called MePACS, the letter being dated 27 May 2021.

It is interesting to realise that when sporting teams or other such events require to fulfill they charters, goverments are there to assist them immediately.

The letter I received states: "We apologise for the delay, this is due to the limited number of funded units available for Victorians."

It is not surprising that people have died waiting for help when they have tried to get ambulances for emergencies because so mush is underfunded - so much has been privatised and all such services are grossly underfunded - sports facilities and sports grounds are much more urgently required - unless you are rich and can pay for everything - as ever, money talks, loud and clear.

MANNIE DE SAXE

No comments:

Post a Comment

RED JOS - ACTIVIST KICKS BACKS



Welcome to my blog and let me know what you think about my postings.


My web pages also have a wide range of topics which are added to when possible. Look for them in any search engine under

"RED JOS"




I hope you find items of interest!

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
90 years old, political gay activist, hosting two web sites, one personal: http://www.red-jos.net one shared with my partner, 94-year-old Ken Lovett: http://www.josken.net and also this blog. The blog now has an alphabetical index: http://www.red-jos.net/alpha3.htm

Labels