12 July 2011

CASTRATING ZIONIST!




On 9 July 2011 the ABC TV channel 2 showed Woody Allen's 1979 film Manhattan. I had fogotten how very funny so much of the dialogue was, but one particularly funny - and pertinent - line is the one quoted below after the earlier item which I found online when looking for more on Woody Allen's writings about his mother and his upbringing in New York.



n+1 The Magazine



Thrice-yearly print publication of literature, culture, and politics.

(The following was from the online edition)

An article from the magazine called n+1 on 20 March 2005 was a film review on Woody Allen, and the paragraph quoted below is part of that essay. It is supported by one of Woody Allen’s funniest lines from his 1979 film Manhattan and which is so pertinent to 21st century US-Israeli politics.



The line is shown after the quote from the essay.



By Christian Lorentzen

Take My Balls—Please


On Woody Allen



Castration anxiety pervades the films of Woody Allen. It starts in the womb. In Deconstructing Harry (1997) he plays the author of a short story about his mother entitled “The Castrating Zionist.” In Allen’s panel of the triptych New York Stories (1989) his mother is magically and terrifyingly installed in the sky above Manhattan, where nothing he does escapes her watchful eye.



Isaac Davis: Years ago I wrote this short story about my Mother called "The Castrating Zionist" – From Woody Allen’s film Manhattan ,1979, in which he plays Isaac Davis.





No comments:

Post a Comment

RED JOS - ACTIVIST KICKS BACKS



Welcome to my blog and let me know what you think about my postings.


My web pages also have a wide range of topics which are added to when possible. Look for them in any search engine under

"RED JOS"




I hope you find items of interest!

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
90 years old, political gay activist, hosting two web sites, one personal: http://www.red-jos.net one shared with my partner, 94-year-old Ken Lovett: http://www.josken.net and also this blog. The blog now has an alphabetical index: http://www.red-jos.net/alpha3.htm

Labels